AIAS / AIA Trust Scholarship 2012
Each year the AIA Trust offers scholarships to members of the AIAS with financial need pursuing a professional NAAB accredited degree. A scholarship of up to $1,000.00 is awarded to 5 individuals who are selected based on their applications as reviewed by a jury from the Washington, DC Metropolitan area as formed by the AIAS.
To apply, applicants must submit the following to be considered by a jury:
- A current resume highlighting previous educational and work experience.
- A current and complete transcript submitted by your institution.
- A Written Applicant Interview (essay) of no more than 2,000 words expressing your goals for improving the built environment and the future of the profession. Also your essay should include how the award of this scholarship will enable you to enhance your vision of your future and what you can offer to the future value of architecture.
All applicants eligible must be:
- Enrolled in a NAAB Accredited Program
- In the fifth year of B.Arch degree for the 2012-2013 school year or the first year of an M.Arch Degree.
- Must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 or a B Average in the architecture program.
- Must have full-time enrollment status (as defined by the institution).
- Must be a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or U.S. Permanent Resident
- Must be a member in good standing of the AIAS during the year of application and acceptance of the award.
- Must provide evidence of financial need in the written applicant interview or certification from the academic institution that the applicant qualifies for participation in an educational assistance program for individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds as defined by the Secretary of Health and Human Services.
- Not be a previous recipient of this scholarship.
- All applicant submissions must be complete and sent via email to the AIAS President at with the subject title: “AIA Trust Scholarship Application”.
- Applications must be compiled into one PDF format document not exceeding 3MB in size and shall be titled: (LASTNAME)(FIRST INITIAL)_TrustScholarship12.pdf
You may also mail transcripts to:
American Institute of Architecture Students
Attn: AIAS President
1735 New York Ave, NW
Washington, DC 20006
Deadline for applications is March 30th by 6:00pm EST. A Jury will convene in Mid April and recipients will be announced by the end of April. Scholarship funds will be released to recipients in November of 2012.
For questions please feel free to contact the AIAS President at .
About the AIA Trust
Established in 1952 by The American Institute of Architects as separate entity, the AIA Trust is a governed by a group of six AIA members and one AIA component executive who serve as Trustees, appointed by the AIA President.
The purpose of The AIA Trust is to develop and offer insurance and benefit programs of the greatest possible value and to serve as a risk management resource for members and components of the American Institute of Architects. The Trustees, working with independent consultants, evaluate, select, and monitor programs that meet the Institute's high standards of quality, value, financial stability, service, and coverage. The Trust serves as a member-advocate in getting information and claims handled properly and promptly.
The Trust is dedicated to assisting AIA members in making decisions about complex matters and serves as a risk management resource for the practice of Architecture in cooperation with the Institute. It receives no dues dollars and is not a source of revenue for the AIA. Learn more about the AIA Trust here.