Through a partnership with the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB), the AIAS is able to grant over $9,000 this spring to seven different schools to implement their community-based design projects. The grants are being offered as part of the partnership through the Freedom by Design (FBD) program. Additional funding will be granted this summer. Each program’s project intends on providing design-build solutions to address the following barriers: physical, socio-economic, educational, environmental, and cultural.
Spring 2018 FBD grant recipients and their clients :
- University of Houston – Easter Seals Greater Houston
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte – Men’s Shelter of Charlotte
- Northeastern University – Bird Street Community Center
- Illinois Institute of Technology – Sweet Water Foundation
- Wentworth Institute of Technology – YMCA of Greater Boston (Camp Ponkapoag)
- New Jersey Institute of Technology – Student & educational facilities in Newark, NJ
- New York Institute of Technology, Old Westbury – Richland Elementary School
Each project is unique and each program will be making an immediate, positive impact for those associated with their client and their community overall.
All programs are encouraged to complete their builds in the coming months and provide documentation of their project in an effort to share their achievements with the AIAS community.