Insider Tips for Getting the Most Out of AIAS Grassroots.
In a little less than a week, we will be seeing you in Washington, DC! We’ve compiled a list of reminders and tips so that you are prepared for the most awesome AIAS Grassroots yet.
1. What to pack
Laptop + Charger
Portfolio + Resume
Dress Code: Smart Casual
2. Location This year, we will be switching things up! The host hotel for AIAS Grassroots is a new location from where it has been held in previous years: The Fairmont 2401 M St NW
Washington, DC 20037
3. Getting around DC One of the easiest ways to travel around our nation’s capital is by Metro. Make sure to check out the WMATA’sinteractive metro map.
Don’t forget to use the following hashtags — #AIASgr19 #AMPLIFY #architectureconference #architecturestudents #AdvocAIASY #AIASleadership #AIASdesign #AIASservice
5. Roll Call This is your time to showcase the character of your chapter! If you plan on having video or music, please send it to email@example.com so that we can load your video onto our system in advance. Please keep in mind that roll call has a 60-second limit per chapter. Roll call will be held as follows:
– Friday morning General Session: Midwest & South Quads
– Saturday morning General Session: Northeast Quad
– Saturday afternoon General Session: West Quad & International Regions
6. Session Reminder This is a gentle reminder that all sessions are first come, first serve. If you are interested in a particular session, be sure to get there 15 minutes prior. Don’t be late!
7. Workshops Reminder This year, we are offering four different design specific workshops! If you are interested in registering, please login to your aias.org account and add the preferred workshop to your itinerary. For both of the Intro to UX and Intro to Digital Marketingsessions, please make sure to bring your laptops.
8. How to CoP In order to help you prepare for our upcoming CoP meeting at Grassroots, take a peek at Sarah Curry’s, AIAS National President, most recent blog post. This feature includes everything from the agenda to a neat instructional video on “How to CoP”. P.S. You don’t have to be a Chapter President to attend CoP, everyone is invited!
9. Quad Receptions Locations FOX Architects will host Northeast Quad ZGF will host Midwest Quad EYP will host South Quad HOK will host West Quad
10.FBD Live Attention FBD Live Task Force – A shuttle will be departing at 7:30 AM from the Fairmont to the LeafHouse in Maryland. Please make sure you plan accordingly! All other information regarding the day’s events can be found here. Supplies and tools for workshops will be provided onsite.
11.Get a Free Headshot There will be a headshot photo booth that is completely FREE at this year’s Grassroots! Make sure to take advantage of this sweet deal… Professional headshots normally cost $50-$100. Photo Booth Hours – All networking breaks!
12. Vote for Your Favorite #ElevateYourPitch Finalist The finalists for the #ElevateYourPitch competition have been selected! You can vote by heading over to the AIAS National Instagram account and liking your fav submission. Winners will be announced at Grassroots!
13.Prep for the AIAS Student Hill Day For those of you joining us for the first-ever AIAS Student Hill Day, head over to the Student Hill page to review the briefing documents and the webinar prior to July 18th. All resources listed on the Student Hill page are essential in making the most out of your experience. Also, don’t forget to review the Capitol’sprohibited item listas well.
Not available to join us for our Student Hill Day? No problem – you can still help and voice your support! Take action while you’re in DC by sending a tweet to your Congressman asking them to support graduates to afford both student loans and retirement. Fill out the form here to be connected with your Congressman now!
14. In case you can’t make it
We get it, things come up! If you are unable to attend, be sure to fill out our Cancellation/Refund Request Form prior to August 5th. Keep in mind that there is a $50 administrative fee associated with refund process.
If you booked at the host hotel (the Fairmont), please keep in mind that there is a 72-hour cancellation policy.
Strictly Necessary Cookies
Strictly Necessary Cookie should be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings.
If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences. This means that every time you visit this website you will need to enable or disable cookies again.