The AIAS is looking for its next FORUM Chair! FORUM represents the signature event of the AIAS in which approximately 1,000 students from around the country and world gather to learn about the craft of architecture, connect with leaders in the profession, and explore the community of the AIAS. In order for the event to be successful it needs dynamic, organized, and visionary leaders who can bring a background of experience and a can-do attitude to help develop and execute this extraordinary event. This year we are looking for an AIAS member with strong knowledge of the Seattle area to Chair AIAS FORUM 2018. To apply please see the qualifications below.
Qualifications for AIAS FORUM PNW 2018
- Must be a member of the AIAS at the time of appointment.
- Strong knowledge of the Seattle area through previous residence or other scenario
- Must be in attendance at FORUM 2017 in Austin, TX.
- Previous attendance to at least 1 other FORUM conference
- Preferred but not required: Past AIAS leadership experience (locally or nationally)
- Preferred but not required: Demonstrated event planning experience
- Due to the significant time commitment required during the time leading up to the event, individuals potentially serving on the AIAS National Board of Directors during the fall of 2018 should not apply.
- Recruit and appoint the FORUM Planning Committee in consultation with the AIAS national Director of Programs & Events
- Guide, coordinate, and advise the FORUM Planning Committee in all matters relating to the development and execution of the event.
- Attendance on weekly conference calls and teleconference attendance with the National Office is required.
- Collaborate closely and successfully with the FORUM Planning Committee, AIAS national office, AIAS National Executive Director, AIAS National Board of Directors, and any associated meeting planning contractors to curate content, plan events, assist in fundraising, plan marketing and promotions, and organize on-site management of the event.
- While the AIAS National Executive Director and AIAS National Board of Directors hold primary responsibility, authority, and ownership over the budget, design, and final execution of the event, the AIAS FORUM Chair is to be empowered with the authority to guide the event in any way that would ensure the most value and benefit to the AIAS membership.
- The appointed chair should plan to work with the AIAS national Director of Programs & Events to recruit a planning team, to work with that team throughout the 2017-18 school year to develop a conference theme, and work throughout the year with the team and AIAS national staff on the development of promotions. The team and chair’s first order of business is the development of a video and branding concept to be unveiled at FORUM Texas in Austin.
- A $2,500 stipend is provided at the conclusion of the event as compensation for services rendered.
- The acquisition/refinement of skills such as event planning, fundraising, programming, marketing, and team management – all which can substantially boost a resume.
- The pride of serving the AIAS in a role that contributes directly to the membership in a way that can truly change their lives.
- Submit resume and letter of intent to the AIAS national Director of Programs & Events, Lauren Fields email@example.com, by 5:00 PM EST, Friday, April 28, 2017. Your application must be submitted as a single PDF file and saved as “LASTNAME_FRM17Chair.” Please subject your email as AIAS FORUM Chair. Late submissions will not be considered for selection.
- Phone and/or Google hangout interviews will be scheduled concurrently with all candidates selected as finalists.
- The preferred candidate will be notified prior to Grassroots 2017, recommended to the AIAS Board of Directors, and officially announced during the Grassroots Leadership Conference in Washington, DC (July 6-9, 2017).